[linux-lvm] LV > 2 TB ???

Hi,

I asked this question on the SuSE lists, but never got a clear answer. I am running an AMD Opteron system, with the 64-bit 2.4.21-149-smp kernel and LVM 1.0.7(mp-v6). I have a volume group of 3 RAID arrays, totalling 2.7 TB, but I cannot create a single LV of more than 2 TB. We intend to grow the storage well beyond the current size, so this is not an academic question.

1. I read that there is a 2 TB block device limit imposed by the kernel on _32-bit hardware_, but this does not have to apply to 64-bit hardware, if so, can I set a kernel parameter to ease that restriction?

2. Is there a setting in LVM that imposes the 2 TB limit on LVs?

3. Will these restrictions go away with the 2.6 kernel, and LVM2?

4. What advantages would I get to moving to Sistina's GFS instead of LVM 1/2?

Thanks,

John Craig