Re: [linux-lvm] LVM rootfs and cramfs as ramdisk

Hi Jan,

On my system lvm driver is in the kernel (no module).

/#!/bin/sh

I mount /etc with a tmpfs to have /etc in rw (I do not need the "/etc/fstab").

mount -t tmpfs none /etc

Now I mount /proc because "vgscan" need to access "/proc/partitions" (I do not need the "/etc/fstab").

mount -t proc none /proc

Finaly I can scan for the volume groups and activate these volume groups.

echo "Scanning for Volume Groups..."
/sbin/vgscan
echo "Activating Volume Groups"
/sbin/vgchange -a y

I umount /proc and /etc because, I do not need now the "/etc" (you need to do a vgscan in the startup script of your system to update the "/etc/lvm*" files in the real "/etc"), and the kernel after the mount of the real / mount the /proc.

umount /proc
umount /etc

I do not need any files in the "/etc" I only need to create temporaries files with vgscan.

Best regards.

Francis

Jan H. van Gils wrote:

Hi Jan,

Hi Francis,

You need "/etc" in rw for this you can mount "/etc" in the "linuxrc" script using a tmpfs filesystem like this:

Thanks for the information. I was already wondering if I was the only one with this problem.

But what about the init files that are normaly in "/etc" ?
I can imagion that a tmpfs is an empty filesystem.
Or do I not fully understand what you mount option does ?

/#!/bin/sh
mount -t tmpfs none /etc
mount -t proc none /proc
echo "Scanning for Volume Groups..."
/sbin/vgscan
echo "Activating Volume Groups"
/sbin/vgchange -a y
umount /proc
umount /etc
/
I used "romfs" for the "initrd" ramdisk.

Best regards.

Francis

With regards Jan

---- With regards Jan H. van Gils Internet web-page http://www.Knoware.NL/users/janvg/ Internet e-mail address JanVG Knoware NL RIPE Whois JHG5-RIPE, 6BONE Whois JHG1-6BONE