[linux-lvm] Installing LVM on s/390 redhat 7.2 2.4.7-39

Peter A. Castro doctor at fruitbat.org
Thu Jan 23 18:35:01 UTC 2003

On Thu, 23 Jan 2003 jrelist at ntlworld.com wrote:

> Peter

Hi John,

> I followed the instructions from the LVM how-to to do the configuration
> and patch. To be safe, each time I tried I re-installed the kernel-source
> & header rpms (Saving my .config beforehand) then amending the kernel
> extension in the Makefile before configure / patching, then went through
> the process in the r/h doc
>
> make mrproper
> make config   (actually xconfig)

You'd missing the 'make dep' step here.  Creating the dependencies is
important.

> make clean
> make image
> make modules
>
> which would all work very nicely

You might try saving the output from the 'make image' and 'make modules'
to see if iobuf.c gets compiled and linked into fs.o

> then make modules_install which would always give the error.
> I tried it with config_modversions on and off in the config, no joy.
>
> I'll try getting the version you have. You mention timer patches - are
> they significant ? Also, those depmods that cause problems - do you know
> of anywhere else I might locate them or might need to do during the
> building of the patch to get them ?

The specific version shouldn't matter much, nor should the distro as long
as it supports S/390.
I'm not the one who built our systems here, but I'll ask.  I'd assume it
was the stock distro from SuSE.  Not sure about the timer patches, again
I'll ask, and in any case it wouldn't help with your module symbol
resolving problem.

--
Peter A. Castro <doctor at fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro at oracle.com>