[linux-lvm] raid and lvm

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Tue Jan 28 07:54:01 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jan 28 '03 at 05:03, SI Reasoning wrote:
> I was reading back in 1999 mailing list about trying to merge in some
> raid functions into lvm. Did this ever happen?
except for striping (some call it RAID0) it did not happen

> Is it possible to use lvm to safeguard data (like raid 5) so that if a
> hard drive fails, the data is picked up by another volume group/or
> parts of the volume group not on the failed drive?
Why do people always want to bloat everything? LVM is one funcunality
and RAID a different one, you can layer tham as you please and get the
benefit of both with out any efford. So why should anyone integrate
them.

I know that the device mapper allows to add RAID5 functionality, but in
a different way (not as part of LVM, but as a plugin into DM)
--
Goetz Bock       (c) 2003 as     blacknet.de - Munich - Germany   /"\
IT Consultant    GNU FDL 1.1    secure mobile Linux everNETting   \ /