[linux-lvm] 2 Q's: power outages during pvmove and fragmentation

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Jul 27 08:25:02 UTC 2003

Hello,

I just bought a new hard disk and put them in my system (It now has 60 gigs +
40 gigs), but it might be I move the 40 gigger to another system. Also, the
60 gigger is faster so I prefer having as much of my data on it as possible.
So I have 2 questions about pvmove.

1: suppose my hamster bites my power cord during a pvmove and only half of the
data will have moved. How great a disaster does this result in? Does lvm move
one extend and does it write to disk which LE has been mapped to which PE, or
does it first write all the data and rewrite the metadata?

2: does lvm ever get fragmented if one moves data around across different
disks a lot?

thx.

--
Frank Van Damme    http://www.openstandaarden.be