Re: [linux-lvm] read-only media in a LVM?

Sean P. Kane wrote:
I'd love to have a unionfs, but my understanding is that no such beast
exists for Linux 2.4 currently and won't likely appear until after the
2.6 release. If this is not the case, I would love to hear about it. Is
there some decent (although maybe beta) support for a unionfs in the 2.5
kernels? I am using the LVM2 backport to 2.4 currently to test the
device-mapper approach out in the meantime, but if there is a better way
to do it, I'd love to hear about it.

No, this won't appear for 2.4 kernels at any time, I'd wager. However 2.4 kernels support mount --bind just fine, so that may be an option for you if the writable directories in your filesystem can be predetermined.