[linux-lvm] Max storage size per system

will at firesites.com will at firesites.com
Fri Mar 7 12:09:02 UTC 2003

Hello,

I'm not too familiar with the XPs.  I work mostly with HP's Virtual Array
storage units (VA7400 and VA7410).  Those arrays have double parity for
"raid5".  I quote raid5 because it's actually HP's proprietary AUTO-RAID
which is a combination of raid1+0 and raid5.  For the data that actually
sits in raid5 space, there is double parity.  Sort of like parity
redundancy if I understand correctly.  This may be similar to what EMC
does with parity RAID.  The disks are also hot swappable.  The way the
VAs are suppose to work is that it keeps heavily hit data in a raid1+0
space and not-so-hot data in the raid5 space.  It attempts to balance
performance and redundancy.  As far as raid5 rebuild times on one of
these units, I don't know.  Haven't had to do one yet.  But I expect it
can't be too long (long meaning week or more) because not all the data is
in raid5.

Best regards,
Will