[linux-lvm] Lost a full volume group!

Rodrigo de Salazar rodrigo at es.ehas.org
Wed Mar 12 11:02:01 UTC 2003

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this. I had a VG with a single
PV (/dev/hda4), with several LVs in it (including the ones I use as /var, /var/www and
/tmp). I changed /etc/fstab, after resizing and adding a
LV to the other VG I have (on another hdd). Reboot, and I find out that
I had not written fstab correctly, no big deal, just correct it in
single user mode and reboot again. Weird thing comes now: the first VG
(called vg1) has dissapeared. The /dev/vg1 directory and everything
inside have just vanished, vgscan says:

	vgscan -- found inactive volume group "vg1"

and any attempt to vgchange -a y /dev/vg1 results in:

	vgchange -- ERROR "Bad address" activating volume group "vg1"

So, is there a way to recover this VG and all the LVs in it, or will I
have to restore the system by another method (I lost /var...)?
Also, is this very unusual, or LVM is just not so stable?
I am running Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.4.20, and lvm 1.0.4.
Thanks in advance.