Re: [linux-lvm] Problems and questions with LVM on a large raid system.

jon+lvm silicide dk wrote:
On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 03:59:57PM -0700, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

jon+lvm silicide dk wrote:

you're talking about raid0. You dont rebuild raid0. Not in hardware, not
in software.

OK, I missed that extremely important and very obvious point :-)

thought so. Anyway, why would it take longer time to rebuild the
array using software rather than hardware raid? It's still the
same ammount of data needed to be copied.

Right, but a kernel oops doesn't cause an array rebuild to be necessary if you're using a 3ware or similar RAID card. The only thing that would cause a rebuild would be a drive failure or a power failure (which is of course easy to protect against).

The software code (which I've been using for quite a while) needs to rebuild any time the array is not shut down cleanly, which can happen for a number of reasons.