[linux-lvm] LVM snap size weirdness...

Barry, Christopher cbarry at infiniconsys.com
Fri Mar 21 11:20:01 UTC 2003

Ok. Cool. Thanks very much for the knowledge. I have so much more to learn about LVM.

So, by quiesce, would you suggest then, that I stop samba, nfs, apache - take a snapshot and immediately restart them? Then, fire off my backups? Stopping/starting nfs can really wreak havoc on connections (e.g. 'stale file handles' and all).

For my clarification, and possibly others as well, what happens if, during a snapshot, someone is writing a file to the server via nfs? Is this file snapshotted is an unstable state? Is it skipped? Should I issue a sync immediately prior to snapshotting? How does snapshotting handle this case?

Regards and thanks,
--
Christopher Barry
Manager of Information Systems