[linux-lvm] vg_read_with_pv_and_lv problem

Hi all,

I upgraded from RH 7.3 to 8.0 and now one of my two lvm vg's is
missing ... :-(

I've seen simular problems on this mailing list but didn't encounter
an answer. The upgrade was from kernel 2.4.18 to 2.4.18-14
using lvm version 1.0.1rc4 to 1.0.3.

The error is:

vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data
of volume group "vg2" from physical volume(s).

pvscan results in:

pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdc14" is associated to unknown VG "vg2" (run vgscan)
for all partitions involved.

What is curious is that in the function: pv_read_all_pv_of_vg.c
it seems to find vg2, but finds to uuids in the available list
(whatever that may mean) which effectively puts two NULL values
in the pv_this.  One of those is cleaned up in a loop which seems
to be intended for cleaning them all (but I am not sure as the code
effectively only cleans up the first NULL value), but the np count
later-on results in only one found pv.  This probably fails
as the pv_cur has a much higher value later on.  Making the loop
clean up all the NULL values still leaves me 2 pv's short as
the number is now 9 and the pv_cur is 11. So it seems that
no match should have been found in the uuid list.

Any ideas, help, miracles are most welcome.

Cheers

    Arjen (arjen pinguins dyndns org)