[linux-lvm] stock kernel 2.4.20 + LVM 1.0.7 + ext3fs => snapshot problem?

C R Ritson C.R.Ritson at newcastle.ac.uk
Fri May 9 10:50:06 UTC 2003

I have been trying to use LVM on what started out as a standard red-hat
9 system. The supplied kernel had problems with out network card and
DHCP, so I am now attempting to use a stock 2.4.20 kernel patched with
lvm-1.0.7. Everything works fine except that I cannot make a snapshot of
a mounted ext3 filesystem. When I attempt to mount the snapshot
(readonly) I get:-

	mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/vga/addon.backup,
      or too many mounted file systems

I get the same problem with reiserfs, but not with ext2. Searching the
list archive suggests that I need the VFS-lock patch. I presume this is
already included in the patch-set I build as part of the LVM
installation (applying this patch separately after the generated LVM
patch breaks the kernel, leaving me with unresolved reverences to
fsync_dev_lockfs and unlockfs).

What should I try next?

Chris Ritson (Computing Officer)

Rm 618, Claremont Bridge,       EMAIL: C.R.Ritson at newcastle.ac.uk
School of Computing Science,    PHONE: +44 191 222 8175
University of Newcastle,        FAX  : +44 191 222 8232
Newcastle on Tyne, UK NE1 7RU.  http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~c.r.ritson/