[linux-lvm] Drive failure

B. J. Zolp bjzolp at wisc.edu
Wed May 14 10:41:04 UTC 2003

One of the drives in my volume group is developing bad sectors on it.  When I
mount the logical volume spanning that drive my entire machine locks up.
Should I be able to dd (without reading the bad sectors) the failing drive
(assuming it spins up and reads all the good sectors) to the replacement
drive, then run fsck on the unmounted volume and then mount the volume with
minimal data loss?

The other option I can think of is remove that drive from the volume and then
remount it, but that would mean a loss of everything that is one the failing
drive, plus I am not sure how reiserfs works with large chunks of its file
system removed like that.

thanks

bjz