[linux-lvm] Drive failure

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Thu May 15 03:01:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:41:37AM -0500, B. J. Zolp wrote:
> One of the drives in my volume group is developing bad sectors on it.  When I
> mount the logical volume spanning that drive my entire machine locks up.
> Should I be able to dd (without reading the bad sectors) the failing drive
> (assuming it spins up and reads all the good sectors) to the replacement
> drive, then run fsck on the unmounted volume and then mount the volume with
> minimal data loss?

I guess, this should work ... but make sure, that
you do the copy operation on another system, otherwise
the LVM stuff could/will be irritated by two diffent
disks with the same signature (after copying over)

> The other option I can think of is remove that drive from the volume and then
> remount it, but that would mean a loss of everything that is one the failing
> drive, plus I am not sure how reiserfs works with large chunks of its file
> system removed like that.

I wouldn't do that, neither with reiserfs nor with
any other unix filesystem ... only as last escape
if you disk is completely unreadable ...

anyway, if possible make a copy of ALL disks involved
before you do any fscking so you can go back and
try any other approach ...

best,
Herbert