[linux-lvm] Disc crash when using LVM...

Kim Krüger-Monsen lvm at nibland.org
Tue May 27 06:26:02 UTC 2003

I'm desperate... please help...

First of all I'm rather new to this LVM business, but I managed to get a three disc LVM up and running, but now everything is chaos. One disc just crashed and I can't retrieve any of the information from the 2 remaining discs, please help me retrieve my data. Yes, it was an IBM drive, but it was of a rather new model (80GB) and not much used, so I was rather astonished about the crash.

I have read about another guy who also experienced a disc crash (IBM) and he solved it by replacing the faulty drive with another one, but he didn't mention how he managed to get it up and running again. Did he use a replacement drive of the same size? What commands did he have to use in order to get it up and running again?

I've been searching for hours to find any relevant information about what to do in order to retrieve the remaining data from my other drives. I'm not good at this so I really don't want to issue any commands that will delete my remaining data permanently.

Here's how it looks like now:

>pvscan
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdd1"  is associated to unknown VG "vg01" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hda8"  is associated to unknown VG "vg01" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 2 [139.70 GB] / in use: 2 [139.70 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

>vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data of volume group "vg01" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your volume group

>lvscan
lvscan -- no volume groups found

I have no idea what has happened to my volume group, it seems like it has disappeared. All I can do is scan for the physical volumes.

What to do next?? I'm still searching for information relevant to the problem, but please give me a hint or two...

    /Kim