[linux-lvm] Doubled PV

Markus Schiltknecht markus at bluegap.ch
Thu May 29 12:20:02 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-27 at 13:01, Heinz J . Mauelshagen wrote:
> Markus,
>
> what _exactly_ happened during the pvmove ?

Hard to reconstruct in detail, but as soon as the raid device has
'enough' failed devices, it doesn't respond to any request. It simply
isn't readable anymore.

> Would help to analyze any pvmove bug.

Don't think that's a bug in pvmove. Neigther in linux-softraid - just a
very bad accident. (If a bug at all, I would say it's an ATA bug...)

> Using LVM2 tools is a good idea.
>
> You'll have text metadata that way, would be able to hand-edit it removing
> the 10 LEs and vgcfgrestore the changed metadata back onto the PVs.

I could restore the single PV to a state, where it had no LEs on it.
(using vgcfgrestore from lvm 1). That way vgscan now finds just enough
LEs and I can activate the VG again.

Lucky me... ;-)

Thanks anyway.

Markus