Re: [linux-lvm] Can I dd one disc of a lv

Tobias Wagener wrote:

Now the question: Can I "dd" the faulty 200 GB drive to the new 200 GB
drive? And if, how? Does "dd if=/dev/hde1 of=/dev/hdf1" the job, or what
have I to do?

Heinz told me:
"You need to dd starting from the first physical extent (use pvdata -PP on the old one and look for pe_on_disk.base) to the same offset on the new disk (skip and seek dd option) and you want dd to continue after read errors (noerror option)."

Also, I was recently told about the dd_rescue utility, but I haven't had the misfortune/opportunity to try that one yet.

   / Rickard Olsson,IT-Konsult/
  / Telefon: +46 70 635 01 42/
 / http://www.webhackande.se/