[linux-lvm] LVM across network

Spam spam at tnonline.net
Wed Nov 26 09:41:01 UTC 2003

  Yes.  This is possible with NBD 2.0 and later (earlier nbd tools has
  limitation  of  4GB  per  shared  disk/volume/device).  You  need to
  compile the NBD (Network Block Device) module in the kernel too.

  Then simply run on the server (the machines hosting spare volumes):

    nbd-server  10000 /dev/hdax  (replace 10009 with the port you want
    to use)

  On  the  client  machine  (where  you want to run LVM to collect all
  space;

    nbd-client IP port /dev/nbd/0

  For  each  server  you connect simply change the IP/port and the NBD
  device number. After this you run "vgscan" and "vgchange -ay vg"

  You  should  be warned though. If you loose network connectivity you
  can end up with filesystem damage.