[linux-lvm] LVM across network

Spam spam at tnonline.net
Wed Nov 26 12:11:01 UTC 2003

  As far as I can tell NBD 2.x is stable. You can setup failovers with
  NBD  if  you  have  more  than  one NIC in the computers. I have not
  tested this myself.

  The  risk  is  that you accidentally disconnect a network cable etc.
  Otherwise  it  is  up  to the stability of each machine to make this
  work in the long run. For temp space this is fine =).

  I  doubt  any  network  filesystem  will  allow  you to disconnect a
  machine  and still be able to operate. NFS etc support a reastart of
  the  machine,  but  you cannot consolidate the distributed diskspace
  into one logical volume.

  Give  NBD  a  try and test what happens if you disconnect a computer
  then reconnect it.

  I  am  using  NBD 2.0 in Gentoo Linux together with LVM and ReiserFS
  without any problems (so far).