[linux-lvm] Re: LVM ext3 support

Andreas Dilger adilger at clusterfs.com
Fri Oct 17 15:02:16 UTC 2003

On Oct 17, 2003  20:33 +0200, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> anthony mayes <anmayes at siue.edu> writes:
> > I am running Redhat 9 with kernel 2.4.20-20.9.  I am getting the
> > following errors when trying to mount an LVM snapshot:
> >
> > EXT3-fs: INFO: recovery required on readonly filesystem.
> > EXT3-fs: write access unavailable, cannot proceed.
> >
> > I saw a thread on redhat.com that said a kernel patch is needed.  My
>
> BS.  You are trying to mount a non-clean filesystem on a read-only
> LV.  I don't know why your LV is read-only.  You should find out why
> it is, make it writable, and run fsck on it.  After that, you should
> be able to mount it.

Måns, I think you need to read the question more clearly before answering.
This is a snapshot LV, so it is always read-only.  The ext3 filesystem is
"unclean" because it was snapshotted without the VFS lockfs patch in place,
so the ext3 filesystem doesn't know it needs to flush the journal.

Anthony, the patch you are looking for is in the LVM CVS at sistina.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger