[linux-lvm] Can not boot: unable to mount root fs:

Samuel A. Rogers srogers at redshift.com
Tue Sep 2 12:11:02 UTC 2003

So far I can not compile and boot any kernel from 2.4.19 - 2.4.21. I get the below error message:

VFS: cannot open device 3a:00
kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs 3a:00

I took this from an archive message and it should be very close to the message I get except for the
device number. I think mine says 1a:00 as I am only using ide and not scsi. The system locks up and
I have to manually press the reset button to reboot.

I have checked the archives but could not find a solution.

Also the kernels I get from Redhat can boot just fine, but they have turned off my sound card so I
need to regen the kernel. I have tried to get ahold of Redhat by phone, e-mail and newsgroup but no
reply.

Regards,

	Sam Rogers.