Re: [linux-lvm] pvscan showing 0 free on all PV's.

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:56:27AM -0700, Tupshin Harper spake thusly:
> ext2resize to shrink it, followed by an lvreduce to reduce the size of
> the partition that the filesystem lives on, but *DANGER* *DANGER*
> *DANGER*. Reducing the size of an existing filesystem is inherently
> dangerous, so back up, tread with caution, and don't blame me when a
> meteorite flattens your house.

Inherently dangerous? Nonsense. It should not be inherently dangerous if
the resize tool and LVM do their jobs properly. Resizing should be a
perfectly safe operation when done properly.

> If you are using reiserfs, jfs, or xfs, you are probably out of luck, as
> these filesystems don't currently support reduction.

reiserfs supports reduction. I have done it many times. I wouldn't be
surprised if the others do too but I haven't used them yet.

--
Tracy Reed
http://copilotconsulting.com