[linux-lvm] device-mapper ioctl cmd 2 failed: Invalid argument

Tracy R Reed treed at copilotconsulting.com
Mon Sep 22 15:49:08 UTC 2003

Nobody replied to my last message about the kernel oops and I couldn't
figure it out so I thought I would try upgrading to the latest and
greatest including 2.6.0-test5. I seem to be having some sort of problem
with devmapper not communicating properly with something.

I think I've got the latest everything:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           20 Sep 20 14:35
/lib/libdevmapper.so -> libdevmapper.so.1.00

home:~# lvdisplay --version
  LVM version:     2.00.07 (2003-09-16)
  Library version: 1.00.05-ioctl-cvs (2003-09-01)
  Driver version:  1.0.6

I've got the latest 2.6, the latest devmapper, the latest lvm userland
tools from sistina... But snaps still don't work.

home:~# lvcreate --size 1G --snapshot --name snap /dev/system/tmp
  device-mapper ioctl cmd 2 failed: Invalid argument
  Couldn't load device 'system-snap'.
  Problem reactivating origin tmp

Now I've got an inactive snap lv and an inactive origin lv. I can remove
the snap lv and reactivate the origin lv and everything is fine.

Any ideas what's wrong with my setup?

--
Tracy Reed
http://copilotconsulting.com