[linux-lvm] RFC: DM encryption target?

Goetz Bock bock at blacknet.de
Mon Sep 29 08:07:05 UTC 2003

On Fri, Sep 26 '03 at 15:04, Christophe Saout wrote:
> Am Fr, den 26.09.2003 schrieb jon+lvm at silicide.dk um 14:48:
>
> > > I don't know, but couldn't the use of a one-sector block slow things
> > > down because of alignment issues? Perhaps using a 4k block would be more
> > > useful or storing the sector at the end of the device (like the linux
> > > raid info sector).
> >
> > maybe, but does it matter?
>
> No, I meant the following: Let's assume you are using crypto on a raid
> 0/5 device or something. Usually the filesystem uses 4k blocks.
> [ ... ] A lot of harddisks these days use internal blocks that are
> larger than 512 bytes so there are also alignment issues.
While I don't have any idea how harddisks work internaly thise days,
I've no problem to loose 4k or even 16k if it improves anything.
But I would still like to get it to the beginning of the
partition/drive/device.

Mainly to be able to do

less -f $DEVICE

to figure out what it's all about. I do this more often than not and
hate it if all i get back is just binary garbage.

Everyfile should tell me what is is for/from in plain text.
--
/"\ Goetz Bock at blacknet dot de  --  secure mobile Linux everNETting
\ /                     (c) 2003 as GNU FDL 1.1