Re : [linux-lvm] lvm 1 unable to boot

Le 01.04.2004 15:48, Heinz Mauelshagen a écrit :
On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 09:42:44PM +0100, Geoff Dolman wrote:
On Wed, 2004-03-31 at 16:49, Patrick Caulfield wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:59:39PM +0100, Geoff Dolman wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I have a machine with the following partition structure:
> >
> > /dev/sda1 /boot (ext3)
> > /dev/sda2 swap
> > /dev/sda3 LVM
> >
> > The LVM (1.03/rh9) contains one PV and this has Volume00 in it
which
> > contains lvs for slash, usr, var, /usr/local and so on...
> >
> > I rebooted the machine for the first time in ages (same kernel
> > configuration as the last reboot and no changes - or very few).
> >
> > The machine won't reboot - it panics because of a message
(something)
> > like:
> >
> > vgscan found inactive "Volume00"
> > Error 28 Unable to make /etc/lvmtab.d/Volume00/Volume00.tmp
> > vg_cfgbackup.c line 273
> >

> Error 28 is ENOSPC - your initrd is too small to hold the metadata
backups.

Thanks - but how do I fix this?

Append the kernel boot parameter "ramdisk_size=" and give a size in kilobytes (eg, 'ramdisk_size=16384' makes 16MB ram disks.

I don't think so. It is not the ramdisk size which has a problem but the filesystem created to support the initrd files (/dev, /etc, modules, scripts, ...). The size of this filesystem is fixed while creating the initrd.

At boot time, lvm want to write some files in /etc (lvmtab and lvmtab. d). While in the boot process and in the ramdisk, the /etc is part of this filesystem. If there is not enough room on it, lvm crashes.

lvmcreate_initrd computes the needed space.

I tried to mount via the loopback an initrd created with lvmcreate_initrd, add the stuff needed to have xfs and I got short on the filesystem.... The ramdisk was 8Mo and the initrd about 6Mb...

--
Regards
			- Jean-Luc