[linux-lvm] Converting the root filesystem to ReiserFS on LVM...

Madison Kelly linux at alteeve.com
Tue Apr 6 14:15:30 UTC 2004

David Johnston wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 10:42, Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>>Hi all,
>>
>>I am officially stumped...
>>When I use the FC1 cd I can't unmount '/mnt/sysimage' which is seen
>>as the LVM device '/dev/VG00/LV00', it keeps saying the device or
>>resource is busy
>>Under Fedora the devices I need to mount are on:
>>/dev/VG00/LV00 = '/' (currently ext3)
>>/dev/VG00/LV01 = '/backup' (reiserfs)
>>/dev/VG00/LV02 = '/snapshot' (reiserfs)
>

> Madison,
> do you by any chance have /mnt/sysimage/backup or /mnt/sysimage/snapshot
> mounted when you get the "resource busy" error?

Nope, I made sure to dismount anything mounted under /mnt/sysimage (inc.
  boot/). I have since been able to copy the data by using the SysRescCD
and then using EVMS to simply look at the partitions and then saving out
and mounting /dev/evms/lvm/<vg>/<lv> but after restoring and rebooting
it would kernel panic still thinking that '/' was ext3 despite editing
'/etc/blkid.tab' and '/etc/fstab'.

I am trying now to figure out how to properly use 'chroot /mnt/sysimage'
followed by 'lvcreate_initrd' to write a new boot loaded but despit
double checking that the file name was right Grub still fails to find
the file...

Quite an ordeal but I am making progress, slowly.

Thanks for your reply! Any other tips by chance?

Madison

PS - For the archives, this is a Fedora Core 1 install.