[linux-lvm] snapshots and reiserfs

Mark M. Hoffman mhoffman at lightlink.com
Thu Apr 8 18:18:35 UTC 2004

Hello:

Sometimes, but not always, I am unable to mount a snapshot.
When it fails, I see the following lines in my logs...

kernel: reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 3a:06) ...
kernel: clm-2076: device is readonly, unable to replay log
kernel: Replay Failure, unable to mount
kernel: reiserfs_read_super: unable to initialize journal space

I am using RedHat 9 with the following stock packages:

kernel-smp-2.4.20-30.9
lvm-1.0.3-12
reiserfs-utils-3.6.4-5

I have not tried the combination of snapshots & reiserfs with
earlier RedHat packages so I don't know if this is a regression.

After some STFW, I thought I might need a "VFS lock" patch.
However, it looks like this was already included by RedHat...
in kernel-smp-2.4.20-30.9.src.rpm there is already this patch:
linux-2.4.18-lvm-VFSlock.patch.

Is there anything else I can try or look at?

Also, is it necessary that the filesystem be quiescent in order to
create a snapshot?  I could temporarily remount readonly to create
the snapshot, but I would like not to have to do that.

Thanks and regards,

--
Mark M. Hoffman
mhoffman at lightlink.com