[linux-lvm] Extending a stripped Logical Volume

Olmo González olmo at olmo.org
Fri Dec 24 12:19:31 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am new to this list, seeking for some help.

 I have setup LVM2 under debian sarge (2.6.8-k7 kernel).

I originally created a volumen group (nasvg) on 4 x ST3200822A ATA DISK
drives. I created a stripped logical volume spanning these 4 disks and
using up al PE's available. I then attached two aditional ST3200822A ATA
DISK drives and I would now want to resive my logical volumen to use al
the PE's provided by the two new disks. The problem is I can't extend
the logical volume, getting the following error:

gollum:~# lvextend -L+1G /dev/nasvg/naslv
  Using stripesize of last segment 64KB
  Extending logical volume naslv to 746.23 GB
  Insufficient allocatable extents suitable for parallel use for logical
volume naslv: 191036 required

I have been googl'ing and it seems that this has to do with restrictions
on resizing sttriped LV's. However, the information I have found says
the restrictions no longer apply to LVM2.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm thinking of creating a linear lv
spanning al 6 disks but this would mean backing up ~600gb of data which
could be a pain...

Here is my output for both vgdisplay and lvdisplay.

gollum:~# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               nasvg
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        6
  Metadata Sequence No  25
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                1
  Open LV               1
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                6
  Act PV                6
  VG Size               1.09 TB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              286168
  Alloc PE / Size       190780 / 745.23 GB
  Free  PE / Size       95388 / 372.61 GB
  VG UUID               LWqtTF-F8vA-yjXt-AYwK-yFQr-skDa-s9UVRC

  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/nasvg/naslv
  VG Name                nasvg
  LV UUID                GMm5PD-6Rdk-h8lG-35Fw-rZp3-L42s-N6k9QC
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 1
  LV Size                745.23 GB