[linux-lvm]LVM Problems

David Rohrer rohredd at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 8 17:50:18 UTC 2004

I had set up a Red Hat 9.0 Box with no xwindows on it just mainly the basic install.
The /boot, / , and swap are all on HDA....then on HDG and HDH I set up a LVM during the install.

After I filled the drives in the LVM with data I tried to add to more drives to it they were HDC and HDD.
 I'm not the best at this, so I was reading how on the interent...I first tried to just do vgextend and it would error, so i done a pvcreate for each drive and then done a vgextend then I rebooted, I never did a change. so now when it boots it errors out trying to mount the volume and I would have to go into maintenance and edit the fstab and comment out the volume so it will boot

This is what I get when I do a pvscan:
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdg1"  is associated to unknown VG "Volume00" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdh1"  is associated to unknown VG "Volume00" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 2 [38.03 GB] / in use: 2 [38.03 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

And this is what I get from a vgscan:
pvscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdg1"  is associated to unknown VG "Volume00" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- inactive PV "/dev/hdh1"  is associated to unknown VG "Volume00" (run vgscan)
pvscan -- total: 2 [38.03 GB] / in use: 2 [38.03 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0]

I can send you a vgscan -d if you like but it is quite long, I have data on the volume and would like to fix it, is there a way to fallback to how it was before I tried to add the other 2 hard drives? And if so how do I add the new ones properly?

Thank You
Dio
There are 3 types of people in the world
Those who can count
and thos who can't