[linux-lvm] lvm size mismatch?

David Johnston david at littlebald.com
Wed Feb 25 09:40:04 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 19:56, Soon-Son Kwon wrote:
> Hi I am using lvm on debian woody.
> The version would be about 1.0.x.
>
> foo:/var# df -h
> /dev/vol/var           18G   16G  2.7G  85% /var
>
> foo:/var# du . -sh
> 5.4G    .
>
> where does this size mismatch come from?

iirc, df looks at the filesystem's free space maps, while du sums the
file sizes as listed in the directories.  I'd guess that you've got
10.6G marked as "in use" in the free space maps that isn't referenced by
any inode. 'fsck -f /var' should fix it; remember that you'll have to
unmount /var first.

--
David Johnston <david at littlebald.com>
Little Bald Consulting, LLC