[linux-lvm] /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device

John Celoria celoria at roguewave.com
Fri Jan 9 15:58:02 UTC 2004

Hello,

I am upgrading from 2.4.23/LVM1 to 2.6.0 and have run into a bit of an
issue.
I built the device-mapper support into the kernel statically...

I converted the volumes:	vgconvert <vol>
I ran vgscan and got the following:
  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "vol1" using metadata type lvm2
  Found volume group "vol0" using metadata type lvm2

I am not using devfs of course so I ran ./devmap_mknod.sh
device-mapper kernel module not loaded: can't create /dev/mapper/control.

I compiled device-mapper support in statically but the entries in /proc do
not exist?

What did I do wrong? more importantly... is it recoverable?

I thank anyone who can possibly shed some light on this for me.