[linux-lvm] Re: which filesystem to use on slackware

David Johnston david at littlebald.com
Sat Jan 10 16:15:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 11:34, Chris Conn wrote:
> --- Måns_Rullgård <mru at kth.se> wrote:
> > Francis SOUYRI <francis.souyri at wanadoo.fr> writes:
> >
> > > Hi Chris,
> > >     I think the performances are not the main things in your case,
> > >     you need to see the "managment" capabilities of each filesystems,
> > >     If you want to learn more about the LVM probably you test the move
> > >     of a logical volume, the extend, reduce of a logical volume and...
> > >
> Can I use ext3 and reiserfs on the same box? I've set up my
> second disk to use reiserfs but my main disk is ext2, thought
> about converting it to ext3 since that would be easier than
> re-installing... but I'm not sure if this is a good idea. It
> make more sense to just re-install slack on my main disk with
> reiserfs.

Chris, there's no reason you can't run Reiserfs, ext2, ext3, xfs, and
jfs on the same box.  You can only use one on a given logical volume
(aka partition), but you can, for example, use ext3 for /, ext2 for
/usr, Reiserfs for /var, xfs for /opt, and jfs for /home.  I wouldn't do
this on a heavily loaded production server, but on a test system there's
no reason at all you can't do this.
--
David Johnston <david at littlebald.com>
Little Bald Consulting, LLC