[linux-lvm] Stripes and PE's

Tyler tyler at tylercentral.com
Sat Jun 12 00:07:07 UTC 2004

I'm having problems creating a logical volume on a 4 disk SCSI volume group.
I want to use the entire space as 1 LV that is striped, but can't seem to do
it.

I get an error telling me I don't have enough Physical Extents, when I
clearly do.

livecd root # vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               group
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        4
  Metadata Sequence No  1
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                255
  Cur LV                0
  Open LV               0
  Max PV                255
  Cur PV                4
  Act PV                4
  VG Size               13.91 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              3560
  Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0
  Free  PE / Size       3560 / 13.91 GB
  VG UUID               DjxWid-oxqx-zol9-Lu8a-CO94-AsBn-c7k3le

livecd root # lvcreate -i4 -I16 -l3560 -nstorage group
  Insufficient allocatable extents suitable for striping for logical volume
storage: 3560 required
livecd root # lvcreate -i4 -I16 -l3000 -nstorage group
  Insufficient allocatable extents suitable for striping for logical volume
storage: 3000 required

Even if I try to use less space then it says I have, it still wont let me.

I've had this error before, but never found a solution.  I also have not
found the solution on the mailing list archives either.  I can create a
contiguous LV, but without striping.  I'd like to have it striped if I
could.

What am I doing wrong?

Tyler