[linux-lvm] decommision disks in LVM2 & 2.6 kernel? (pvmove broken)

Steve Wray steve.wray at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jun 12 20:59:26 UTC 2004

Replying to my own post, I have found and installed
the patches from;
http://people.sistina.com/~thornber/dm/
specifically;
http://people.sistina.com/~thornber/dm/patches/2.6-unstable/2.6.6-rc2/2.6.6-rc2-udm1.
tar.bz2

to a pristine 2.6.6 kernel, configured it appropriately,
compiled and booted from it; pvmove still doesn't work.

Is there any special magick I need to apply or documentation
that I'm missing? Do I need to update my version of pvmove
(currently at;

pvmove --version
  LVM version:     2.00.08 (2003-11-14)
  Library version: 1.00.07-ioctl (2003-11-21)
  Driver version:  4.0.0)
(although that is as booted with the mandrake 2.6.3-13 kernel,
not the 2.6.6 + dm patches kernel)

Thanks!

(and these disks are failing; I need to decommission them ASAP,
if I can't pvmove the extents on them or move the files which occupy
extents on them, then I am in trouble).