[linux-lvm] lvcreate complains and fails

arajendr at cse.uta.edu arajendr at cse.uta.edu
Sat Jun 19 16:23:52 UTC 2004

Hi. I'm sure this has been asked a million times.
I'm running LVM2 on a 2.6.6 kernel running debian. The LVM tools are
standard debian sid distribution. I have dm_mod.o in the kernel. Modprobe
tells me dev mapper is in the kernel.

I even created the file /dev/mapper/control with major and minor numbers
taken from /proc/devices and /proc/misc respectively.

Yet when I run lvcreate it gives me an error saying no /dev/mapper/control.
One other error it gives me is Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.17-ioctl, and
kernel driver.

Could this be the problem its not creating logical volumes? If so, any way
to resolve it?

Thanks,
Anoop