Re: [linux-lvm] linux 2.6.3 -- device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup failed

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 06:30:51PM -0600, Greg Norris wrote:
> When I boot up under 2.6.3 or 2.6.4-rc[12], I get several occurrences
> of the message listed below.  All of the filesystems are mounted
> successfully, however, and I don't notice any problems once it's up.
> Is this something I should be concerned about?  If so, what do I need
> to check?
>
>    kernel: device-mapper: dm-linear: Device lookup failed

This is a serious error, it means that device mapper was asked to
instance a linear mapping across a non-existent device.  Could you
turn on verbose logging in the LVM2 tools, and try and find out which
LV is failing to activate please ?

- Joe