[linux-lvm] Help : vg not accessible (with pvdata result)

dld.pascal.garcia dld.pascal.garcia at wanadoo.fr
Mon Mar 8 01:18:01 UTC 2004

Hello,
My problem is the following :
If use lvm on my laptop for ages.

By lack of space I decided to add a pv to the vg, and extend the lv /.

It seems that diskdrake uses a pvcreate to add the pv in the vg.
After I made a lvextend on the lv mounted as / of 500Mb and a
rizerfsresize.
This was working fine. The problem occured after reboot.

I did not run lilo  to recreate the Master boot sector and may be it is
one problem as / in a lv.

I tried the recue disk, but Mandrake did not include the lvmtools, so I
tried a new installation. The installation process told me that there
was illegal division by 0 when acessing the information of the vg.
So i did not change anything an stopped the installation, (switch off
the pc because there is no sofware abort possible without change of the
disk data at this stage of the installation).

As I had no solution on the portable, I took the disk out of my portable,
and put it as primary (so the disk is hda as in the portable) in a fixed
machine  (special cables available), I added a second disk as slave and
installed the  distribution on the second disk. Then the MSB has been
replaced. That is really a problem because now I can not even start
booting on the portable disk.

All the tools are now available, diskdrake told me that the partition I
finally  added (hda1) was not in the vg. So I added the partition. It
was an error I completly  realize it now.
An error has been repported on pvcreate, but mainly it has been done,
but
the data  in /etc has not been created.

whith pvdata now I can see that I have 2 pvs with number one. The
orgiginal first (hda6) and the volume i finally added (hda1).

pvremove reports an error, and does nothing.

vgscan does nothing on rootvg as it is inconsistant. Anyway the system do
not know the vg, /dev/rootvg/[123] do not exist.

I think I should first, by patching the data by hand, either remove the
last pv I added (hda1), or make it as beeing the 3rd pv of the vg. What
ever I have to patch, I have to make the data on the pv consistant.

When the data will then be available, I will backup the data, put the
disk back in the portable and reinstall everything.

Thank you for any help that would permit to save my data.

Pascal Garcia

Here is the result of the vgscan and pvdata

root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]# vgscan
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data
of volume group "rootvg" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your
volume group

root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]# vgscan -v
vgscan -- removing "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- creating empty "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d"
vgscan -- reading all physical volumes (this may take a while...)
vgscan -- scanning for all active volume group(s) first
vgscan -- reading data of volume group "rootvg" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- ERROR "vg_read_with_pv_and_lv(): current PV" can't get data
of volume group "rootvg" from physical volume(s)
vgscan -- "/etc/lvmtab" and "/etc/lvmtab.d" successfully created
vgscan -- WARNING: This program does not do a VGDA backup of your
volume group

root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]#
root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]#
root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]# pvdata /dev/hda6
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hda6
VG Name               rootvg
PV Size               20.71 GB [43423632 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM:
130 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                3
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              661
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          661
PV UUID               l1McpK-mb3s-j04q-NRFM-ili3-mcF0-MPHqnV

--- Volume group ---
VG Name
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             NOT available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                3
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                3
Act PV                3
VG Size               27.78 GB
PE Size               32 MB
Total PE              889
Alloc PE / Size       685 / 21.41 GB
Free  PE / Size       204 / 6.38 GB
VG UUID               dyEbIX-HcZF-9Jna-UmlR-bmKL-PiQ6-kFLTq0

--- List of logical volumes ---

pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/1" at offset   0
pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/2" at offset   1
pvdata -- logical volume "/dev/rootvg/3" at offset   2
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   3 is empty
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 255 is empty
--- List of physical volume UUIDs ---

001: l1McpK-mb3s-j04q-NRFM-ili3-mcF0-MPHqnV
002: miXh0a-OJFd-7zRt-2oQT-uvHb-zsTO-xBV7O8
003: The3kH-g4Pr-eFe2-mcKO-pAgq-BUNr-NLXs1w

root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]# pvdata /dev/hda5
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hda5
VG Name               rootvg
PV Size               313.74 MB [642537 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM:
128 KB]
PV#                   2
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              8
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          8
PV UUID               miXh0a-OJFd-7zRt-2oQT-uvHb-zsTO-xBV7O8

[...]

root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]# pvdisplay /dev/hda6
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part6
VG Name               rootvg
PV Size               20.71 GB [43423632 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM:
130 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                3
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              661
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          661
PV UUID               l1McpK-mb3s-j04q-NRFM-ili3-mcF0-MPHqnV

root at localhost: /root[root at localhost root]# pvdisplay /dev/hda5
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5
VG Name               rootvg
PV Size               313.74 MB [642537 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM:
128 KB]
PV#                   2
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes (but full)
Cur LV                1
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              8
Free PE               0
Allocated PE          8
PV UUID               miXh0a-OJFd-7zRt-2oQT-uvHb-zsTO-xBV7O8

root at localhost: /root/vg[root at localhost vg]# pvdisplay /dev/hda1
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
VG Name               rootvg
PV Size               6.93 GB [14538762 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM:
128 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes
Cur LV                0
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              220
Free PE               220
Allocated PE          0
PV UUID               none

root at localhost: /root/vg[root at localhost vg]# pvdata /dev/hda1
--- Physical volume ---
PV Name               /dev/hda1
VG Name               rootvg
PV Size               6.93 GB [14538762 secs] / NOT usable 32.19 MB [LVM:
128 KB]
PV#                   1
PV Status             NOT available
Allocatable           yes
Cur LV                0
PE Size (KByte)       32768
Total PE              220
Free PE               220
Allocated PE          0
PV UUID               none

--- Volume group ---
VG Name
VG Access             read/write
VG Status             NOT available/resizable
VG #                  0
MAX LV                256
Cur LV                0
Open LV               0
MAX LV Size           2 TB
Max PV                256
Cur PV                1
Act PV                1
VG Size               6.88 GB
PE Size               32 MB
Total PE              220
Alloc PE / Size       0 / 0
Free  PE / Size       220 / 6.88 GB
VG UUID               none

--- List of logical volumes ---

pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset   0 is empty
pvdata -- logical volume struct at offset 255 is empty
--- List of physical volume UUIDs ---

Segmentation fault (core dumped)