[linux-lvm] LVM2 and Linux 2.6.2

darren.miller at philips.com darren.miller at philips.com
Tue Mar 9 16:49:01 UTC 2004

I am using Slackware 9.0 with Linux Kernel 2.6.2, LVM 2.2.00.08 and
device-mapper 1.00.07 create a vg and an lv not a problem all works great.
 As soon as I use lvcreate -s etc etc it goes nuts.

Using command: lvcreate -L 28G -s -n snapTue /dev/vault/vol1

gives:

device-mapper ioctl cmd 9 failed: Invalid argument
Couldn't load device 'vault-snapTue'.
Problem reactivating origin vol1

where it fails to create /dev/mapper/vault-snapTue and link it to
/dev/vault/snapTue so I can't do anything with it until I reboot the
machine whereby it appears in /dev/mapper but still requires me to
manually link it to be removed as once the snapshot create command is run
the original volume goes inactive and will not reactivate using lvchange
-a -y
I have tried various filesystems for the original to no see difference in
behaviour.

So now I am at a loss, do you guys have any clue why this doesn't work
where it was working fine with LVM1?

please help..

Darren
Darren Miller
Senior Systems Support Engineer
Microsoft Certified Professional
SCO Advanced Certified Engineer
Infomation Systems Department (Core Server Support)
Philips Semiconductors,Milbrook Industrial Estate,Southampton,SO15
0DJ,England
Direct Dial In: +44 (0) 2380 312681