Re: [linux-lvm] Patch for Miguel Cabe?a's lvm2create_initrd script

On Wed, 2004-03-10 at 08:28, Joe Thornber wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 09:05:14PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
> >  The second one is an ugly hack, and I'm definitely open to better ways
> > of handling it. After my kernel upgrade (from 2.6.1 to 2.6.4-rc2), the
> > major number of the device mapper devices on my system changed. So, I
> > added a hack to copy the contents of the ramdisk /dev/mapper directory
> > to the /dev/mapper directory on the lvm2 root filesystem, prior to the
> > pivot_root. It works for me, but I'd love to hear about better ways of
> > handling this.
>
> Mount tmpfs on /dev/mapper, and then run 'dmsetup mknods' ?
>
> - Joe

Hmm that might work, but what will happen to the devices after you
remount the filesystem. Will /dev/mapper always be a tmpfs filesystem
after this?

Actually, I'm thinking another way to handle this might be to do a
'chroot /rootvol /sbin/vgmknodes' prior to the pivot_root instead of the
tar copy. There might be some way to handle it without the chroot, but I
think this will work.

I'll try this method out soon.

-- Jeff