[linux-lvm] lvm2 vgchange -a n problem

Michael Ossmann mike at ossmann.com
Wed Mar 10 16:14:07 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 09:39:19AM +0000, Joe Thornber wrote:

> i) do a 'dmsetup info <dev>' and confirm that the 'open count' is 0

# dmsetup info
Name:              pvfoo
State:             ACTIVE
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        3
Event number:      0
Major, minor:      254, 1
Number of targets: 1

Name:              vgfoo-lvfoo
State:             ACTIVE
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        0
Event number:      0
Major, minor:      254, 3
Number of targets: 1
UUID: [snipped]

Name:              vgfoo-lvbar
State:             ACTIVE
Tables present:    LIVE
Open count:        1
Event number:      0
Major, minor:      254, 2
Number of targets: 1
UUID: [snipped]

> ii) use 'lsof' to find out who has opened the device.

# lsof /dev/mapper/vgfoo-lvfoo
# lsof /dev/mapper/vgfoo-lvbar
COMMAND     PID     USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE     SIZE    NODE NAME
[snipped many lines of output]

# lvchange -a n vgfoo/lvfoo
  LV vgfoo/lvfoo in use: not removing

Hmmmm.  Looks to me like it shouldn't be complaining.  I
don't know if this would affect anything at the lv layer,
but the only unusual thing here is that my pv happens to be
built on top of device mapper (dm-crypt).  Everything has
been working fine except for lv and vg deactivation.

mossmann