Re: [linux-lvm] LVM Problems when moving data off a PV

On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 12:34, Heinz Mauelshagen wrote:

You need to select the last valid metadata backup of vg2 from /etc/lvmconf
(check it with vgcfgrestore -ll -f /etc/lvmconf/vg2.conf[.#.old]; see
'man vgcfgrestore for metadata archive file names) and restore it.

Say vg.conf.1.old is the valid one:

for dev in AllPVsOfVG2 # list all PVs reported by vgcfgrestore -ll above
do
	pvcreate -ff $dev
	vgcfgrestore -f /etc/lvmconf/vg.conf.1.old $dev
done
vgscan
vgchange -ay vg2

That did the trick thanks. :-)

Of course in a moment of not concentrating I messed things up again.  I still had pvremove on the disk from when I previously installed the lvm2 tools, and although I wanted to do a vgreduce I did a pvremove.  Even when it kicked up an error I just followed what it said and typed pvremove -ff. oops :-/

Now I get a a similar error as before with vgscan, and other tools give a 'VGDA in kernel and lvmtab are NTO consistent: please run vgscan' error.

I tried re-running what you suggested above but vgcfgrestore gives a 'can't restore part of active volume group "vg2"' error.

Is there anyway to recover from my stupidity (other than a lobotomy!)?