[linux-lvm] How to associate two paths for each EMC device?

Shan Jing shan.jing at db.com
Fri Mar 19 19:01:04 UTC 2004

The very basic way to identify the pair is to lvm each of the first 22 luns in a sequence and see which lun in the other 22 set is also lvm'ed.

However, there must be a more technical way to resolve this and eventually make the disk represent only once.  Any guru out there can help?

Regards,
Shan Jing

Unix Group - Americas
Deutsche Bank
2 Gatehall Drive, 3rd Floor
Parsippany, New Jersey, USA
shan.jing at db.com
973.682.3463

                      Theo Van Dinter
                      <felicity at kluge.n        To:       LVM general discussion and development <linux-lvm at redhat.com>
                      et>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [linux-lvm] How to associate two paths for each EMC device?
                      linux-lvm-bounces
                      @redhat.com

                      03/19/2004 12:44
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      LVM general
                      discussion and
                      development

On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 12:21:51PM -0500, Shan Jing wrote:
> I have 22  EMC symmetrix disks on two HBA links.  At this moment, there is no working copy of EMC powerpath or HP Securepath available for my kernel (2.4.21-112-itanium2-smp); therefore, I have to use the luns directly with lvm without any DMP software in the middle.
>
> Without DMP software, there are two set of 22 luns, each representing one HBA path.  See blow.

Can you set your HBA driver to do failover?   ie: something like this
in modules.conf:

options qla2300 ql2xfailover=1 ql2xmaxqdepth=64

This works well for my servers connected to a CX-series array. :)   The
driver handles failing between HBAs (active-passive), and only has the
LUN presented once to the system.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"I didn't know Allman was a stand-up comedian ..."