Re: [linux-lvm] lvm or lvm2?

On Tue, 2004-03-23 at 03:29, Matthew Daubenspeck wrote:

> Do you think using LVM is a reliable method of sharing home directories?
> I have been reading the lists, and I notice that in a lot of cases, if
> one drive dies, you usually lose a lot of information.

That's why you should really only use it on top of redundant storage
like RAID 1 or RAID 5, or in situations where you can afford the risk of
data loss (scratch volumes, hot archives, etc).

I guess that by its self, LVM could be seen as having many of the same
issues as RAID-0 in terms of data safety - but you're more likely to be
able to do partial recovery with LVM.

I run LVM on a RAID 1 array and a large RAID 5 array, and while I've had
disk failures, I've never suffered any data loss because the layer below
LVM is properly redundant.

Craig Ringer