[linux-lvm] LVM2 over RAID-5 (AMD64)

Jan Kasprzak kas at informatics.muni.cz
Tue Mar 30 10:40:08 UTC 2004

Jeffrey Layton wrote:
:
: On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 10:25, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
: > 	Hello,
: >
: > 	I have problems creating a LV on top of SW RAID-5 volume.
: > I have Fedora Core 1/AMD64, and LVM2 utils 2.00.08-5 RPM from the latest
: > Fedora Core beta (1.90, I think). My kernel is 2.6.4. The problem is that
: > 1) Metadata version 2 does not work at all, and
:
: This is a little sparse on details, but you may have the problem I hit,
: which was not having set up lvm.conf to exclude the underlying devices.
: LVM2 (at least its current iteration) doesn't automagically exclude
: devices that underly an MD set.

	This is strange, because lvcreate -v -v writes something like

Duplicate PV R9n6ygz1oDeeOQWQH9vPFWCVirNSQ9rr on /dev/sda4 - using md /dev/md5

which looks as if lvcreate knows that it has to use md5 instead of sda4.

: You might try setting a filter in lvm.conf that excludes everything but
: MD devices, e.g.:
:
: filter = [ "a|^/dev/md|", "r|.*|" ]
:
: Not sure if this works at all with LVM1, though.

	Yes, this fixed the problem (tested both on V1 and V2 metadata).
Thanks for a hint!

-Yenya

--
| Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak  <kas at {fi.muni.cz - work | yenya.net - private}> |
| GPG: ID 1024/D3498839      Fingerprint 0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E |