[linux-lvm] Problem with LVs

Michael Hill michael at mhill.net
Sat May 8 21:43:32 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 08, 2004 at 09:59:09AM +0200, Luca Berra wrote:
>On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 07:37:16PM -0600, Michael Hill wrote:
>>The minor device number for data and winex is the same.  I'm hoping that
>vgscan -f

Okay, thanks.  Of course, it wasn't that simple; I spent about an hour
and a half bouncing between single-user and recovery CD, to no avail.
No matter what I did, the data LV stubbornly retained the same minor
device no. as the winex LV.

It wasn't until I booted from recovery CD, mounted the root part'n, and
looked in /dev/*_vg that I had an idea.  data_vg had just a "data" entry
(not counting "group"), instead of the three that it has when LVM is up
and running.  I thought maybe that entry, since it clearly remained on
disk between boots, was interfering when vgscan is run at boot.  So I
deleted it.  At the next reboot, data_vg didn't come up.  So *then* I
ran vgscan -f , and finally I had different minor device nos. for the
LVs in data_vg!  Another reboot, and I was back in business.

Thanks for telling me the command to run, Luca.

--
			--Michael

Michael Hill   <><  Isaiah 9:6 |
michael AT mhill DOT net       | # find / -name '*[Bb][Aa][Ss][Ee]*' \
Aerospace/Software Engineer    | > -user your -print | xargs chown us:cats
http://www.qadas.com/~msh/     |
---In a marketplace (like the one of ideas), not everything has equal value!---
Did you ever notice that everybody in favor of abortion has already been born?!