[linux-lvm] /boot on lvm?

Martijn Schoemaker martijn at osp.nl
Sun May 16 09:42:09 UTC 2004

Hehehe the eternal discussion :)

Well, I just don't have the guts to put /boot in LVM so I just
put it on a 'md' device. Do boot managers like Lilo and Grub
cope with LVM ? I know Lilo does cope with md since it will
put the boot block on both physical drives when installing. And
how does it work when the bios needs to reference the boot image
which is in an LVM volume ? Does this work at all ? I just
never tried, but I am curious :)

And swap in LVM seems fine to me too. You should only keep
performance in mind. On the other hand, with the fast disks
nowadays I don't think you'll have any problems with normal
usage.

I also put my root in LVM, and this works great. Only thing is
that you might have some problems when migrating to newer LVM
versions, but it is do-able. Having your root in a resizable
volume has many advantages I think.

Just my few cents,
Martijn

--
There's someone in my head, but it's not me.
--- Pink Floyd