[linux-lvm] /boot on lvm?

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at smilehouse.com
Wed May 26 15:31:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 11:42:09AM +0200, Martijn Schoemaker wrote:
> Luca Berra wrote:
> >On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 01:37:26AM -0700, Michael wrote:

> >>Is it okay to put everything, including /boot and other critical
> >>Linux files on an LVM drive? How about swap space?
> >i don't have any problem with this kind of setup, but you will find
> >many people here that will say just the opposite.
> Hehehe the eternal discussion :)
>
> Well, I just don't have the guts to put /boot in LVM so I just put it
> on a 'md' device. Do boot managers like Lilo and Grub cope with LVM ?
> I know Lilo does cope with md since it will put the boot block on both
> physical drives when installing. And how does it work when the bios
> needs to reference the boot image which is in an LVM volume ? Does
> this work at all ? I just never tried, but I am curious :)
>
> I also put my root in LVM, and this works great. Only thing is that
> you might have some problems when migrating to newer LVM versions, but
> it is do-able. Having your root in a resizable volume has many
> advantages I think.

Especially with a "live" resizeable filesystem.

Doesn't HP-UX have a setup where you have /stand (IIRC) which will
always reside in the same place and should always boot etc and
everything else on LVM? I think there was a scheme like that. With
Linux, /boot and initrd's could be arranged like that. That is what root
raid and root fs/driver/bus as module -kernels usually do: you boot with
an initrd that has enough confs, utils and modules to get the devices,
start the raids and mount root to pivot to.

Now, for the non-DOS, could LVM have some extra features to allow making
all disks PV's and have /boot and initrd or /stand-like on a "special"
location that boot loaders etc can find and use to start the system?
There would just need to be enough to start LVM to a point where you can
mount the root LV.

(I may also be thinking Aix here. Such wonderful fs management ;)

--
I once waxed the floors of a nursing home, pulled off all the rubber
feet on the walkers, and yelled "FIRE!"