[linux-lvm] root restore onto a logical volume

David Spear dspear at telus.net
Mon May 31 18:23:00 UTC 2004

Heinz:

I've posted to various newsgroups, combed through FAQ's, and can't find
an answer to my problem.

I have my root "/" on a logical volume /dev/Volume00/RootVol, which is
in turn mounted on a software RAID-5 volume, /dev/md1.  I wanted to test
my crash recovery, i.e. see if my backups were working.  So rather than
test it on my working system, I decided to create a new logical volume,
/dev/Volume00/TestRoot.  I did the following:

1.	Boot from cd to shell
2.	Manually start my raid volumes via raidstart
3.	Manually activate my logical volumes via pvscan, vgscan, lvscan,
lvchange.
4.	Create a new logical volume, /dev/Volume00/TempRoot.
5.	Mount /dev/Volume00/TempRoot
6.	Restore from tape to TempRoot
7.	Change /tmp/TempRoot/etc/fstab to reflect new root location
"/dev/Volume00/TempRoot" instead of /dev/Volume00/RootVol
8.	Create a test entry in /tmp/TempRoot/etc/lilo.conf with the new
root location "/dev/Volume00/TempRoot" and run lilo.
9.	Reboot

When my kernel gets to the point where it need to access "/" I get an
error, "cannot mount /dev/Volume00/TempRoot, bad superblock, try e2fsck
-b 8193, etc. etc. etc.".  When it dumps me to a shell and I run
"vgscan" I get "no volumes found" yet, when I run "pvscan" it lists one
volume found "Volume00" on /dev/md1.

Did I miss something in my restore?  Do I need to restore a
configuration of some sort?  I have read through the manpages on
vgcfgbackup and vgcfgrestore and believe that these write out
configurations to the physical volumes.  As I can boot my old root (or
boot from cd) and both see and mount /dev/Volume00/TempVol I'm sure
there's nothing wrong with my volume group configuration on the disks.

Sorry to ask such a question, but as I said I've looked and looked and
looked for answers elsewhere to no avail.

Any answer greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Dave