Re: [linux-lvm] 'vgscan' at boot-up

On Fri, Nov 05, 2004 at 05:12:59PM -0800, David S. wrote:

I'm using lvm2-2.00.15 and device-mapper-1.00.17 on a Slackware (x86) system, with a 2.6.9 kernel and udev-026. I've created a volume group and a logical volume without any trouble, but the file system I built on the volume won't mount at boot-up. That's apparently because the 'vgscan' program run from the system initialization script does not find an volume groups. After the system boots, 'vgscan' works fine. I can get the file system mounted by putting
in 'rc.local'.  Does anyone have a idea why 'vgscan' would fail
in the sytem initialization script, but succeed in 'rc.local'?

wild guess,
udev has not yet created the block device file you require,
try putting udevstart in the system initialization script before vgscan

Regards,
L.

--
Luca Berra -- bluca comedia it