[linux-lvm] Backup/Recovery Strategies

Can anyon  suggest backup/recovery strategies for filesystems under LVM. (Version 1 and 2)

1) If I loose the data in the /etc/lvm directory (or lvm.d) do I loose the filesystems controlled by lvm?
2) How do I recover from a loss or corrpution of the LVM data.
3) What happens if the LVM filesystems have changed since the last backup of the metadata?

Sorry if this shows a profound lack of understanding of LVM but I''m new to this and haven't been able to find any recipes for doing
backups?

Thanks much
Axel